Friday, August 15, 2014

... breaking the rules one status report at a time...



The lovely Trystan at This is CorpGoth has posted the Mid-Month Status Report and the theme is “a wacky office outfit report” where we are to show off “a work-appropriate ensemble that features stripes, plaid, or dots”. Alright, I’m a bit early but I’ve been laughing about the picture I’m going to use for this post for a while now. For the record, I wear mostly black. Rarely do I wear pattern even though OMG I love stripes and polka dots but in my line of profession they are a bit of a visual distraction (read that as I communicate through American Sign Language). My university is quite conservative in dress but I have *gotten away with*, or rather felt more comfortable with less conservative attire since I earned tenure last year. In fact, as my tenure present to myself, I added purple highlights. No one really noticed... or cared. It's my ninth year so they're kind of used to me at this point-- a few teaching awards and great student evaluations help!

The English Department also has incredible Halloween parties which have become a tradition. That being said, I’m including my Halloween *costume* (aka everything from my wardrobe tossed together). My colleague and I had no idea that the library ran an annual Halloween contest so this is the picture and their backdrop. They did ask for a pose and I was channeling my inner-Monster High Doll self.



Bonus outfits: a striped dress that is actually professional and the 2012 Halloween costume with Bat wings, a robot outfit with Halloween decor and a sign reading, "I don't DO costumes; this is the real me". The front actually lights up! 

10 comments:

  1. i LOVE THIS POST! Congrats on getting tenure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha ha Thanks! I'm officially promoted to full professor effective Monday so I must be doing something right :p

      Delete
  2. lol!! I think the stripes are adorable. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have on red and black striped tights but they're hard to see. :D

      Delete
  3. I like the purple skirt. I sometimes feel like I need a sign saying I don't wear costumes, this is me. Being a faery is pretty much who I am. I do a normal costume sometimes, it never seems to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. When a non- gothy goth friend or colleague sees me dressed up headed out to a show or some event or even a picture of me dressed up, they often seem envious like they wish they could too wear corsets and tutus. It's nice being less restrained even when sometimes it comes with, "Are you wearing a costume?"

      Delete
  4. OMG, I'm in love! That top picture is fan-freakin-tastic :) Stripes galore plus a cool psychedelic van, you win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I'm glad you like it. As soon as you announced the topic, I started laughing because I remembered that I had this picture. And because it was part of the university's library costume competition (that I didn't know about but happened to be walking by), it will be posted annually during the week of Halloween :D

      Delete
  5. Argh, I missed this status report! And I wear so many stripes to work! Oh well.

    I really love the purple and black dress with its bold but not garish stripes, and stripy stockings and socks are always snazzy :) Mine get hidden under my trousers and boots at work, but they're still there...

    ReplyDelete