Tuesday, October 7, 2014

... the Center of the Universe celebrates the season of Halloween...



 
Located 15 miles north of Richmond, Ashland is affectionately known as the “Center of the Universe” for its central location within the state. My ex said I thought the world revolved around me so why shouldn’t I live in the center of the universe :p 
It’s just an adorable town which for my purposes is home to a train station and close to the interstate so I can scoot on up to the District.  Ashland was originally named Slash Cottage. Oh how I wish it still were even though the term slash was used to describe an area of swampy ground covered with brush and trees. That pretty much describes all of Virginia. But Slash Cottage sounds so creepy. (Insert dreamy sigh).
The town was developed by the railroad as a mineral springs resort and dates back to the late 1840s. Officially incorporated in 1858, the town was named “Ashland” after native son Henry Clay’s estate in Kentucky. Today, the population is approximately 7000. It has ridiculously fun festivals and an Independence Day walking parade which boosts quirky humor such as dressed-up basset hounds and lawn chair brigades (like musical chairs with lawn chairs… during a parade. See quirky!)

One thing that I adore about this town is how decked out it becomes for the holidays, Halloween included. The antebellum homes are especially decorated during this time of the year with large wreaths and yard decor. Here are a few of my favorites during my morning walk through town.




6 comments:

  1. That is a cool and pretty little town! I dont blame you for walking there at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I hope to have one of those Victorian Queen Anne's :D One day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would loooooooooove an old (hopefully haunted) Victorian home... :Sigh:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! With my luck I'd have a poltergeist who hides stuff :p

      Delete
  4. It looks like a lovely place to live, your house if beautiful. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that were my house. It's one of the decorated homes I walk by.

      Delete