Friday, December 5, 2014

... Holy BATS!!! A GIFT GIVING Contest...



As a gardener trying to find her way in this thorny garden called life, I have been delighted to see how my own little garden has transformed over the last four years since I’ve moved here and created a gardening space. This year the bats have FINALLY started to return. From research, I understand that they, like most intelligent wild life, leave areas that are undergoing construction. Our townhome community was just completed a few years ago and now that the dust has settled our nocturnal friends are starting to feed in the area once more. I’m more than delighted about this because most bats here in Virginia feed exclusively on insects like those yucky ol’ mosquitoes and pesky gnats. Bats can devour more mosquitoes and other nasty bugs than birds and bug zappers combined! Plus, they’re way cuter! So BRING ON THE BATS!

Sadly my property isn’t so hospitable for a bat house but since I’ve wanted to help out I have started to support organizations who work to protect these little furry friends.  I also like to support Small Business, and I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!

That being said, it’s time for a little GOTH GARDENING GIFT GIVING! This post isn’t only helping Bat Conservation and Small Business, it’s passing on a little Gothy-Goth Christmas spirit to YOU!

I have written about my love for The Occasional Bat before, and you can check out some of my favorite plush bat friends in a previous post. The Occasional Bat donates a portion of every (full-size... they sell ornaments and pet toys too) bat to The Florida Bat Conservancy which educates people about the bats native to Florida, conducts research and helps build new habitats for bats across Florida.  

The Gift:

  • I have ordered THREE large, full-sized bats which are around 16x10x2. They come with a certificate that has their name. (Okay, I actually ordered one for myself… but whatever ^o^)


What To Do:

  • Write a post about BATS, SUPPORTING SMALL BUSINESS, or even how to have a GOTHY-GOTH CHRISTMAS all in the name of winning this little ol’ GOTH GARDENING GIFT GIVING contest.
  • Tag me in your post!
  • Make a comment here in this post (including your URL)
  •  And prepare to win! (Because hey, if you read this blog you know how many participants were in the Halloween Shovel Contest :p )


Deadline: Friday, December 12th

15 comments:

  1. My kids went "batty" over this video. Veronica is fixated on mommy-baby animal relationships, and gave a running commentary along those lines.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbTWWWtFFUs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with your kids. I could watch these bat videos all day. Adorable!

      Delete
  2. Did you say bats? Now you're talking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a wonderful contest! Thank you for hosting it and for helping the bats!! Occasional Bats' pieces are so delightful as well. The winner is going to truly enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot my link! Check out some bat music: http://thecryptopedia.blogspot.com/2014/12/years-later-its-all-about-bats.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great post! Thank you. I'm going to be listening to Volume 1 while I work this morning :D

      Delete
  5. Love this!! And I love The Occasional Bat shop, although I haven't gotten any of them YET. Here is my URL: http://lucretiasreflection.blogspot.com/2014/12/have-very-batty-christmas.html

    (You didn't think I'd sit this one out, did you???) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I was a bit worried I have to admit. Ya know, the shovel idea just wasn't so popular ha ha ha :D

      Love those Christmas cards!

      Delete
  6. I participated!
    http://littlecorpgothgirl.blogspot.ca/2014/12/lil-drac-and-batties.html

    pick me! Pick me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GWEEEEE!!!!! You, my dear, just broke the previous Goth Gardening Contest record (which was two :p ).

      Loved your post! Last year for Christmas, my mom *adopted* a bat for me :)

      Delete
  7. The contest has now ended. Thanks to those who participated!

    ReplyDelete