Thursday, February 11, 2016

..."alone with the dead"...

"Between me and the moonlight

flitted a great bat,
coming and going in great,
whirling circles."
~Dracula Chapter VIII

This week I’ve been teaching Dracula to my Intro class. We’ve had a great time discussing various scenes that are particularly creepy. 

Today I decided to interpret a scene with Heidi Daus brooches (the "Glowing Glamour" Chandelier Crystal Pin and the "Batty For You" Crystal Pin). 

The character Lucy is alone at night and keeps being disturbed by this pesky bat flying into the window. The large bat shows up throughout the beginning of the novel and 2016 readers already presume that this is actually Dracula.


I’m a little early for the Fifth Annual Vampire's Day Soiree  at Holly’s Horrorland but my love for vampires extends beyond just one soiree day! Consider this me getting ready for the party ;)  

6 comments:

  1. Oh no, I think my girl cat has maimed Dracula every time he has tried to enter my bedroom in summertime! I have saved several bats from her teeth and claws...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good kitty protector for you; not so good for little bat Drac ;p

      Delete
  2. You're already getting prepared and I haven't even started! You'd think for someone who loves vampires as much as I (we) do, I'd have no problem coming up with ideas, wouldn't you? And yet I got nothin' ... still. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in my uber dorky defense, I do teach the Intro to Lit Studies each Spring semester and right now we're wrapping up our reading of Stoker. This semester I have several Honors students who were anticipating reading this novel because they've heard that I nerd-out (and I really do get a little fan girl) so vampires are on my mind and apparently I'm always in need of new jewelry (which makes me think I should buy myself a soirée present!)

      Delete
  3. I’ll try and do something, but it won`t be much. I thought it was Saturday that I was going to York (for a gig) but it is on Friday, so I will not have time to take some pictures in the town, which is great for everything spooky and historic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love the brooches! The maroon/purple blouse is great, too!

    ReplyDelete