Monday, July 19, 2021

...a craft, witch brooms, and Bela Lugosi...

A few weeks ago, my father turned 83. Since the pandemic, he’s called me almost every night to check in. It first started when my mother became sick. But Dad and I get along well and always have a great deal to discuss so we’ve kept calling each other.

He’s of the Silent Generation, between the Greatest Generation and preceding the Baby Boomers and like Generation X, it seems they’re often left out of the discussion. As children of the Great Depression, my dad grew up with the mentality of “use of up, wear it out, make do” and that was something that I heard as far back as I can remember. It’s still a mentality that I try to live by and I admit that I have a hard time throwing out anything that is still sort of working. If we’re friends on social media, I admitted this morning that both my iPhone is a bit too old and hangs frequently, and my laptop doesn’t have a working camera, or sound, and also
the graphics driver is corrupted so part of the screen becomes black at various times. It isn't so bad. I just click on another tab and that usually fixes the issue temporarily. Neither of my parents had much money growing up but my dad’s father also died when my dad was just a boy. My grandfather was a coal miner and he died from black lung. Even today I have a hard time letting go of things that still sort of function even it they don’t function at their highest level. I know I’ve done this with people too but that’s a topic more for therapy.

With what seems like an endless supply of pine needles in our yard, I have wanted to make something with them. This week, I started making tiny broom art. The first one that I made is the smallest and I used the mountain mint along with the pine needles. It smells quite nice.

Today, I made one small broom with crape myrtle blooms that smells so sweet. We’ll see how well they fade and dry. The other includes Juniperus virginiana or Eastern Red Cedar. The mountain mint blooms were being enjoyed by a bunch of bumble bees so I didn’t want to disturb them. I think that I read that the *berries* of the Eastern Red Cedar are poisonous but probably only if they’re eaten and I don’t recommend that anyone eat these small brooms.  

I think they have a nice forest witch aesthetic and could certainly be nice to have on an altar.

Today's Bela Lugosi daylily...just because

7 comments:

  1. great idea! another way to use pine branches is take a fireplace log, staple the pine branches on it in a pleasing way. Hot glue things like pine cones, cranberries etc. You can also pour hot way on it. your can give them as gifts and burn in the fireplace. I tell people I made them a yule log.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your handmade brooms are tremendously lovely - as it the way you speak with love and admiration of your father. It's wonderful that you've been in such close contact throughout the pandemic. I wholeheartedly hope that you both remain safe and healthy all through this ongoing global crisis.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Autumn. I appreciate this. Sending you health and wellness too.

      Delete
  3. What a clever use of pine needles <3 :-). Those little brooms are gorgeous. Think of what nice halloween decorations they will become.
    Is it our age that makes us more prone to speak to our parents? We are realising they get older and we need to hear them more now. That how it is for me and for my spouse. We are often calling our mothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually added several of the brooms to a mint wreath that I made (a post to come!)

      I think my father and I have become more aware that we cannot take moments for granted, not just life or days but little moments. Mom was sick last year and it was really scary for both of us. And, how did my folks grow into their 80s? Just the other day they were my age.

      Delete