Wednesday, October 7, 2015

...timeless treasures right off the tracks in Spooktacular Ashland...

The Chiffarobe Antiques and Gifts has a collection of antique furniture and other pieces along with some unique gifts. During Spooktacular Ashland events, Chiffarobe has an assorted of both old and new Halloween items.



"Chiffarobe" is an old southern word for a type of armoire.  It is something that your great grandmother would have used to store her linens and clothing and may have been passed down to her by her mother or grandmother. Chiffarobes are now mainly used to hold special treasures and unique items of days gone by...all the things you can find at The Chiffarobe Fine Antiques and Gifts."


For the last few years that I’ve lived in Ashland, I’ve been in a half dozen times. I bought the Gianna Rose Pumpkin & Squash Soaps pictured here a few years ago. I’ve never had the heart to actually use them but they sit in a small pumpkin dish in one of the bathrooms.

I’ve also brought friends to see Chiffarobe’s collection of Memento Mori and Civil War ambrotypes and tintypes.

 

This trip my fella and I walked around and looked at the collections. There were Halloween headpieces and antique pins (there was an old ghost and spiders of which I didn’t get a very good picture), candle holders, décor and cards. I bought two of the candle holders, some floating bat candles, the BOO pin, and a pop-up card.
 


I wish that I had been able to take a picture of the witch riding a bicycle in the front window but the reflection just didn’t give me a good shot.
This is a great shop to find some spooky décor for a grown-up Halloween party or to fill a gothy girl’s home. 

Nearly every time I’ve been in there are an assortment of antique mirrors including Victorian hand mirrors that give the atmosphere of dark sophistication. There is also a Victorian doll baby stroller that is similar to my F. A. Whitney Carriage. I didn’t investigate to see if it was the same company but it would be spooky with a porcelain faced doll… which I would never allow in my house because dolls are freaky! But some plush bats could happily roost in that buggy.








16 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying your spooktacular tour through your hometown! :) You have some fun and funky shops close by, lucky duck. Ooh ... tin and ambrotypes! YES! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good... Having readers from all over, I worried that the focus might be a bit too specific. But then in writing we say the more specific, the more universal...

      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. No, I think it's really cool. You know, I often post places that we visit because I find NYC to be too overwhelming and daunting ... and I have lived here all my life. It's nice to see what's outside my lens.

      Delete
  2. What The Professor said. Also, I might have a tiny crush on the Pumpkin Creature (first photo).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think that he's making that face because you have a crush on him. Notice his rosy cheeks. ;D

      Delete
  3. Great stuff! Every time I see old-timey Halloween faces like that pumpkin, or old photos of people in masks, I wonder if they thought they were creepy (like we do) or kind of diy cute..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha like "Good enough... This will do" :p Bam! Creepy!

      Delete
  4. It`s nice to find shops like that, most of the antique shops here are stuffy and overcrowded with things, and I don`t think you would be welcome to take photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked if I could take pictures in Chiffarobe's more because I wanted to take a picture of the case with the ambrotypes and I felt a little funny about doing so without permission. And I don't use a flash because I know it potential can damage pieces over time. The shopkeeper was super friendly about it. I said I was going to write a blog post and before I left he followed up by asking if I got all the pictures I needed. :D

      Delete
  5. I have this same problem, I never have the heart to use soaps that are for example made in animal form or candles, for that matter! :) That antique & gift shop seems really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade, I wish we had had time to come down to Ashland when you were in DC. I think you would have really enjoyed it. It's a bit like our little Maryland trip but without everything closing at 3pm :p

      Delete
  6. Goth Gardener...Thanks so much for coming in and for your comments! We love having people take photos in the store and sharing them with the world! I'm so sorry I missed you and hope you get back soon so we can meet in person! Happy Halloween!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why can't we have stores like that up here! Waaaaaaah. In all seriousness, I love being able to at least look at pictures of the many things I'd want to buy. It's much safer this way than being there in person. :)

    ReplyDelete