Monday, October 26, 2015

... correcting the space- the anniversary post...




I know the place.
It is true.
Everything we do
Corrects the space
Between death and me
And you.”
                              ~ Harold Pinter

Today is our anniversary (at 4pm today last year I married my fella!) Because it’s a school night, we went out to dinner on Saturday night. Our plans changed slightly. We stayed in town which was much more sensible considering this semester. I’m actually going to a funeral tomorrow so I won’t be going in to work. Tonight we’ll just hangout and not do much.

My fella and I don’t follow traditional gift-giving customs. We don’t give holiday or anniversary presents since we give each other gifts throughout the year. We do like to share events and even dining out is an event to us. We both eat rather slowly and we enjoy talking. We often notice other couples racing through their meals… or at least it seems that way to us. Of course, we were each the last family member in our families to finish eating a meal.

On Saturday night we went to The Melting Pot, a fondue chain restaurant that can be a bit pricey as a family-member notes, “for a restaurant where you have to cook your own food.”  The Melting Pot has become one of our dining traditions. We order a bottle of wine and take our time. Our dining experience is always 2 ½ hours easily but it is time without texting others or being distracted by social media and life.

Even when we’re alone and I’ve made breakfast at home, we sit and talk for hours until the food and coffee is cold. We still have so much to say and learn. I look forward to being with him daily.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Goth Gardener! May you have a lifetime together of things to talk about!

    And after 34 years together with the spouse (we share October anniversaries!), might I say I enjoy the silent bits just as much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. always take time for the hours pass swiftly! when you read a good book you rush through the pages to see how it ends well I know how it ends my good husband of 49 years died I wish I would have enjoyed each page more! please take time for each page (DAY) of the two of your lives

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary! What a lovely couple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary! <3 You two are such a perfect couple! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Endlessly happy anniversary wishes to you both, my fellow October wed couple. I hope you have a stellar second year together (and countless more great ones to come!).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete