Sunday, October 12, 2014

... considering leaves...



"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree." ~ Emily Bronte

I believe I’ve cut my grass for the last time this year. I’ve pruned back the butterfly bushes not preparing for winter but just enough to clean up the yard and appear more welcoming. Butterflies are still visiting and they need a food source. Soon, they will disappear. It’s a time of transition in many ways. The season provides an opportunity to renew; it's a time to discover which parts of yourself you'd like to embrace and develop, and which parts of your summer skin you'd like to shed.

I’ve been dreaming of snakes lately. Snakes tend to show up in dreams in times of transition and transformation. Also, Freud would note that a snake is a phallic symbol. I think both of these interpretations make sense since I am getting married.  Snakes also terrify me in a startling you’re-not-supposed-to-be-here way. Considering my fella had to move into my house so suddenly because of a house flood, I think there’s a connection there too.

When I told my fella that I had another snake dream, he told me to go journal about it. I haven’t been journaling much lately and really I should. My life is changing and journaling helps me document not only what’s happening but how I’m feeling about it all. Another huge help in processing for me is going out to walk. This is the perfect time of year to take a walk… not that I ever mind walking in the hot-humid summer but now I can walk and reflect; the wind gently pushes me along. 

On Thursday, I went walking at Hollywood Cemetery. There are 2000 trees in Hollywood and yet I could only find one tree that was transitioning into fall. The last few nights have been more chilly and fall-like so I'm thinking that when I go again in a few days, I just may see some more orange, red, and yellow.

I want October to move slowly. Big changes are coming and although I feel ready, I want to appreciate each of the moments fully.

6 comments:

  1. I miss having 4 seasons. Here we have 2. Summer and kinda winter. .. lol. Enjoy the changing leaves for me :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. he season provides an opportunity to renew; it's a time to discover which parts of yourself you'd like to embrace and develop, and which parts of your summer skin you'd like to shed.

    I like this idea very much,

    Good that you are making sense of your dreams, I have a lot of nightmares, often related to things that are long in my past. I guess dreams are our mind trying to subconciously work through things. All that male energy so suddenly must be a lot. Give each other space and time! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. This week is much better than last week which is much better than the week before. I'm a creature of habit and have spend five years pretty much only seeing my fella for about 36 hours on weekends. I think we're both doing well so far. Yesterday was probably the first weekend where we were both in the house but in different rooms. I'm not feeling like I have a house invader anymore... Although his cat still sneaks up on me and scares me to death :p

      Fall has always made more sense than New Year's to make resolutions. I try to not focus on what I will resolve but what I would like to embrace and develop as well.

      I usually don't recall any dreams so when I even remember having them it's best for me to journal.

      Delete
  3. Im kinda envious, I dont remember my dreams at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like to walk when I need to put my thoughts in order. Looks like the wind, the street, the trees speak to us and help find some more ways.

    ReplyDelete