Monday, December 7, 2015

EEEK! gothidays!!! ...Once upon a Christmas spider...



It just seems right to begin Gothidays 2015 (WHOOHOO! Check out The Curious Professor Z's event by clicking on the snazzy picture below!) by discussing Christmas Spiders!

Last year I posted about one of my favorite Christmas traditions, ... the legend of the Christmas spider and why I embrace it... .

In that post, I shared that my last name is Polish and it means “the child from the land of spiders”. Although this is actually a legend from Germany, many of these stories made their way across Eastern Europe. In Poland, finding a spider or a spider's web on a Christmas tree is considered good luck. I don’t think my mother would personally agree and it isn’t like I want a spider crawling across my face but in my household, I’m the one who catches garden spiders and transfers them back outside.

I’ve started making beaded Christmas spiders. I found a super easy tutorial last year and modified it a bit to make it work for me.

Speaking of Christmas spiders, I’ve been wearing more and more spider necklaces recently. 'Tis the season! I picked up this Heidi Daus beauty "Entangled Elegance" as well as this wonky Black and White Diamond Spider Pendant from JTV… darn you Home Shopping! 




13 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas spiders! What a neat way to honor your heritage AND your gothic inclinations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Plus, making the spiders is pretty therapeutic :p

      Delete
  2. Child From the Land of Spiders is a fantastic name meaning, very jealous! Your spiders are awesome! We just have lots of native spiders in the garden and house! They can be our Christmas Spiders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Christmas spiders! I wonder if I tried to spray paint all the cobwebs in this house if it would look as pretty as that beautiful tree. Somehow I doubt it. Gazillions of cobwebs and yet I never see any actual spiders. Weird, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The necklace pendant on the far left is an actual spiderweb that was spray painted with silver. An artist out of Chicago makes them. I've never personally tried it but it could be beautiful.

      Hmmm, I wonder where all your spiders are hiding!

      Delete
    2. You should have a cat like our Dorothy to deal with your cobwebs. She knows where all the ones form in the lower corners of kitchen cupboards and other places. They must be some sort of delicacy, because I catch her eating them often. Weird ... and ewww.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard the story of Christmas spiders before! You know that I will now run with it and I MUST add some spiders to our tree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You absolutely must! And if you have spider webs in the corners of your house, just leave and tell people that they're for the Christmas spiders :p

      Delete
  5. I love spiders and yours look great :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I thought they turned out pretty good too. My last year attempt looked too bug-like :-O

      Delete
  6. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! I have the spider kits spread out on my table ready to go! Us Polish gals are just too in synch lately! Thanks for participating, sweet pal!

    ReplyDelete