Monday, July 5, 2021

...aromatic herbs, wreaths, and cocktails...

 

Mountain Mint
At the start of the pandemic, I could only get mountain mint which didn’t work for their intended purpose- my fella’s mint juleps. At the end of the season, after they looked dead in their pots I dumped the pots into the garden. Oops, I’ve heard mint can spread. They’ve mostly stayed in their places and yesterday, thanks to a post on aromatic bundling, I decided to make an aromatic herb wreath with mostly mountain mint, some sage, lavender, and spearmint. It’s all set to dry now.

I’ve also been having fun with cocktails. During the Association for Gravestone Studies conference cocktail, I created a variety of cemetery-themed cocktails. This one is called Country Cemetery, a traditional chocolate martini with spearmint from the garden.

Sweet mint from the garden

A Country Cemetery cocktail with spearmint from the garden
I’m trying to make the most of summer and I’m trying not to look at my countdown of days before I have to return to my university campus. I wish I had known that I would have had 400+ glorious days at home. It’s been a reflective time for me and I’m hoping that some of the boundaries I’ve been working on will stick. For now, I’m officially on vacation until August 16th when my academic contract resumes.  


2 comments:

  1. Such lovely uses for one of nature's most delightful and versatile herbs. Your wreath is inspiringly pretty and that cocktail has me dreaming of a virgin (as I've been unable to consume alcohol due to medical reasons for a couple of decades now) something fierce.

    May the time between now and mid-August go slowly, serenely, and very enjoyably for you, my sweet friend.


    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have been feeling a bit crafty lately.

      Delete